Well I thought I would write the blog this morning since Bryant is home from work and I have a chance to sit down. I wish I had some great news but unfortunately yesterday was a tough day for the Gullettes. After our church service at the Pratt Mansion the kids were all playing while we were packing up. Sam was coming down the stairs at church and he fell down one step. He somehow got his left leg caught behind him. He was in really bad pain and couldn't stand on the leg (mothers intuition I knew something was wrong), so we rushed him to the hospital. A little stressful because we weren't sure exactly where the hospital was and did not have a car. Thankfully, our friends, J.R. and Ginger Vasser were there for the rescue. Ginger, what a trooper, strapped Brooke in the baby bjorn and took Jordan and her home while Bryant and I caught a cab with Sam to New York Presby ER. All a bit crazy because Sam was very uncomfortable and crying and Mommy is still not completely confident in the New York cab drivers (they make me extremely nervous). However, we did get there fast.
Anyway, after of course waiting for a few hours, X-rays showed that he had a "toddler's fracture". It is a spiral-type fracture of the tibia (shin bone). My sweet Sam has a full leg cast and can not weight bear for 4-6 weeks. The good thing is, he can still sit in the stroller without his leg sticking out too far. Anyone who knows an almost two year old knows this is not going to be easy and I am sure he is going to get extremely frustrated. He will probably gain a few pounds too. Good timing---April is rain season anyway.
As a family of 5 in NYC, we already get plenty strange looks on the bus and walking down the street (I think they sometimes feel sorry for me). I would imagine they will even be stranger with Sam's leg propped in the air.
On the positive side, we did find out exactly where the hospital was and it is an extremely nice hospital with a separate pediatric ER. It is only a 10 minute walk down the street. The doctor was extremely sweet and comforting. This has truly been my experience with everyone in New York (extremely friendly and helpful). Also, we feel so blessed to already have such amazing and caring friends in New York. The Vasser's kept Jordan and Brooke at our house, and another couple we've gotten to know sat with us for 5 hours at the hospital and brought us food. I don't know how we would have gotten through it without them.
I know this picture looks sad but Sam really is doing ok despite his circumstances. He's not in pain at all. He has tried to stand up a couple of times and gets frustrated, but I am sure he will figure out how to adapt. He is still being silly and laughing when he is not thinking about it.
Hope everyone is well in Texas. We miss everyone and send our love.
Monday, April 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey guys, JR gave me your blog address and I thought I would drop you a line to say hi! (This is Misty, by the way). I am glad that Sam is feeling better. I know Jordan is helping as much as she can. She is a great big sister! Please do not hesitate to ask us if you need anything. I will call you tomorrow. You can click on "mimi" to see my blog. Have a great day!
Hey Gullettes,
Ginger here. We were glad to help out in any way. It was an eventful day. I hope facing it together as a church family was relieving to you in some regards. Funny...I had just shared in the kid's Sunday lesson that morning about the Body of Christ working together...all different parts making up one body. We also called it a family and how families work as teams. The kids got to experience their Sunday School lesson first hand, huh?! We ALL did. JR and I are glad to be "doing life" together with all of you in this big city.
Post a Comment