Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My Job

Our good friend Stephanie Haney back in Dallas asked me to post a blog about my job---since that is what brought us to New York. Good idea.

I really do love it. The people I work with are great. The job itself is challenging and enjoyable. It is a good feeling to know that the work you are doing adds real, tangible value.

Stop reading at this point if you don’t want to be bored with the details of what I do.

My role is slowly but surely being defined at Maverick. It is basically divided into two separate functions---Investor Relations and Recruiting.

Within Investor Relations, I will be the right hand man for one of the Principals of our company. He is responsible for all Investor Relations in New York. His plate is very full, so I will be asked to gradually take a lot off his plate. One of the biggest tasks I will be given is to lead the marketing/investor relations of one of our new funds (a long-only fund that will be capped at $1 billion). This is a huge opportunity for me—one I didn’t know about until last week.

Another big project I will lead each year is our Broker Letter—a letter to approximately 800 people at our 50 or so biggest counter-parties. It is a detailed letter summarizing their business and thanking them for their work. We make a point to recognize people with each firm that have been very helpful to us. Apparently being recognized in Maverick’s annual letter can mean huge bonuses for these cats at the end of the year. From what I understand, it is an eagerly anticipated letter by all. This is what I have been working on for the past month or so.

On the Recruiting side, I will basically head up the process of bringing in new analysts each year. We currently have about 50 analysts, and we are projected to add about 6 per year. Since the success of our company depends directly on the quality of our work in making investment decisions, over time success will be determined by our ability to hire the best and brightest. Another great opportunity, and fortunately for me, the best and brightest are knocking at our door. The biggest challenged is narrowing the field when they all seem to be the crème.

So that is a glimpse of what I do here. I really do enjoy it and I am very thankful that the opportunity was given to me.

Most importantly, it has had no negative impact on family life. I bring the sense of job satisfaction home with me each evening. And, I am able to keep the hours at the office reasonable. I leave the house around 7:30am each morning, walk about 25 minutes to the office, work until about 5:30pm, and I’m home by 6:00pm. I am able to spend time with the family each morning, and I’m home for dinner every night.

By the way, my job happens to be the one that brings home the bacon, but Christine definitely has the most important work. She is doing an amazing job with our kids while dad is at work.

Hollar at ya later,

Bryant

No comments: